Hello Fellow Service Minded Professionals!
March brings with it an abundance of professional development opportunities that we have painstakingly sifted through to provide you with the highest quality (and most affordable) of selections. Chief among them is the 1st SERVE Philadelphia Networking Happy Hour, to be hosted at Las Cazuelas Restaurant on Wednesday April 9th, 2014 from 5:30PM to 7:30PM. Note that this event is BYOB so plan accordingly if you wish to drink (they will make you margaritas if you bring the liquor!). There will also be an appetizer menu designed specifically for this event! Otherwise, we hope you participate in some of the events we have included this month, and, as always, please feel free to submit your own with the opportunity submission form located at the bottom of the newsletter. Thanks for reading!
Conferences, Sessions, and Workshops:
- NGL Professional Development Series: Communication Solutions & Leadership – “This session will focus on developing communication solutions to facilitate leadership development and organizational effectiveness. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to network with other young professionals… Marilyn Nyman, Founder and CEO of the Nyman Group, will be facilitating this session.”
When: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 from 8:00 to 9:30 AM
Where: Janney Montgomery Scott LLC, 1717 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Message & Advocacy Training (YPR-Philly & MHASP sponsored) – A free day long training in communication for effective advocacy: “This training is for young people (18-30 years old), and will teach attendees how to use their own stories and lived experiences when talking to the media and decision-makers. The first part of the training will help young people connect with their personal stories to develop effective messaging, which will allow them to advocate for policies and systems that will improve addiction recovery and mental health resources, and access to such. The second part of the training will be spent field training at the district offices of state legislators, and will focus on practicing the skills learned from the first part of the training.”
When: Friday, March 21, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
Where: PMHCC 123 S Broad Street 23rd Floor, Large Training Room Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19109
- @OpenAccessPHL April 2014 PhillyTechWeek Convening – A free opportunity to hear from some key individuals in the Philly tech scene, including Donna Harris, angel investor and the co-founder of 1776 (a co-working community connecting the hottest startups in the world with the assets of Washington DC), Darlene Cavalier, founder of SciStarter & Science Cheerleader, Desiree Peterkin Bell, Director of Communications & Strategic Partnerships and City Representative for the City of Philadelphia, and John Grady, President of the Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation. This will be a fantastic networking opportunity!
When: Monday, April 7, 2014 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Where: 2401 Walnut St, Philadelphia PA
- Strategic Planning Part 1: Cultivation & Organizational Development – Learn what benefits to expect from an effective strategic planning process, how to approach the structure of a strategic planning process, how to get broad buy-in in any organization, and about tools to use for assessing your situation, engaging your constituencies, developing and effective plan, and implementing it.
When: Wednesday March 19 from 1:00 to 2:00 PM
- Nonprofit Brand Strategy: Expert Session – Engage in a one-on-one webinar and video chat which “offers nonprofits free, expert advice from a seasoned communication professional with a unique blend of philanthropic and private sector experience.”
When: By appointment
- Breaking Down Walls: Mass Incarceration Meets the Academy – This free day-long event aims to foster dialogue and galvanize change by uniting community members, academics, advocates, service providers, and people impacted by the criminal justice system in discussion and resource sharing.
When: Saturday, March 29 from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Where: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, 3260 South St, Harrison Auditorium
- Crowdfunding Workshop – “At this workshop, participants will learn pros and cons of various crowdfunding platforms and tips for planning and implementing a successful crowdfunding campaign. This workshop is for folks who are considering launching a crowdfunding campaign or those who have launched an unsuccessful campaign in the past. All are welcome, space is finite — please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Free!”
When: April 16 from 7:00 to 8:30 PM
Where: Mariposa Co-op, 4824 Baltimore Avenue
- AmeriCorps Trainings put on by Vision Driven Consulting – For $15, you can participate in training sessions with titles like Sustainability Tools & Managing Transition, Life After AmeriCorps, and Strategic Planning and Opportunity Thinking.
When: The third Tuesday of each month, from 9:30 to 11:30 AM
- 1st SERVE Philadelphia Networking Happy Hour – This BYOB Happy Hour event will feature a special appetizers menu exclusively for the event. Come in and network with other service-minded professionals in a great atmosphere. If you bring your own tequila, they’ll make you a margarita!
When: Wednesday April 9th from 5:30PM to 7:30PM
Where: Las Cazuelas Restaurant 426 W Girard Ave
- Ladies Networking Happy Hour – “Join us for a relaxed happy hour environment 52 floors above the city. Free to attend, complimentary hors d’oeuvres, amazing networking, specialty cocktails.”
When: Tuesday, March 18th 5:00PM to 7:00PM
Where: Pyramid Club – 1735 Market St 52nd Floor
- Lead a Chess Club in Your Neighborhood – “ASAP is looking for volunteers to lead chess clubs for Philly students. ASAP aims to provide safe and supervised after school programming for youth in Philadelphia, and ASAP supports chess clubs in order to promote strategy and critical thinking skills through a fun and competitive game. ASAP’s minimum requirement for volunteers is one hour of your time per week for one “semester” (approximately twelve weeks).”
- Walk+Run Against Hunger – “Join us for our annual Stroehmann Walk+Run Against Hunger, a fun-filled 5K event that raises much-needed funds for more than 100 food pantries, soup kitchens and hunger-relief agencies in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey. Together, these programs help hundreds of thousands of local families put food on their tables every day.”
When: Saturday, April 12
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art