Happy New Year!
We’re excited to share with you our second monthly SERVE Philadelphia Professional Development Newsletter and our first of 2014! This month we have added a new feature to our newsletter: the ability for our readers to submit opportunities! Simply scroll to the bottom of the newsletter and you’ll see a link where you or your organization can submit opportunities for the coming month.
This January, we will also be hosting our first SERVE Philadelphia Professional Development Opportunity. On January 30th from 12PM to 2PM you will be able to network with other service-minded individuals (including a bunch of SERVE Philly VISTAs!) at Dim Sum Garden. CLICK HERE to RSVP and find out more information. This will be the first of many opportunities for those with an inclination to serve within the greater Philadelphia area to work together and socialize.
- How to Succeed with Major Gifts Fundraising
When: January 15, 2014 3:00-4:00PM
- Public Speaking: How to Write a Winning Speech in as Little as Twenty Minutes
When: January 23, 2014 7:00PM or by appointment
- Working with Others to Quickly Produce a Grant Proposal
When: January 29, 2014 3:00-4:00PM
- Young Involved Philadelphia Blog (now accepting submissions!) An opportunity for young professionals to write and publish on community service and civic engagement in Philadelphia
Educational Opportunities: Conferences, Panel Discussions, Sessions & Workshops
- Proposal Writing Basics – “Learn the basics of writing a proposal for your nonprofit organization.”
When: January 14, 2014, 9:30AM to 11AM
Where: Parkway Central Library, 2nd Floor, Regional Foundation Center (RFC), 1901 Vine St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Turn the Tide: Workshop on language about abortion care – “Learn to become an effective communicator about abortion in today’s world – to help to ensure access to care, lift restrictions on abortion coverage and redirect people’s attention to respecting and supporting the decisions of others.”
When: Thursday January 23, 2014, 12-2PM for professional advocates, lobbyists, and policy staff, 6-8PM for all supporters of abortion access
Where: Family Planning Council, 1700 Market Street, 15th floor, Suite 1575, Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Community-Driven Research Day – Register by the 17th of January to learn about how researchers and community based health organizers can work together in conducting research to improve community health.
When: Thursday, January 30 9:30AM-12:00PM
Where: 3535 Market St, 16th Floor, Conference Room D
- Introduction to Volunteer Recruitment and Management – Hosted by Porsche Holland, SERVE Philadelphia Team Leader
When: Tuesday, February 11 5:30PM to 7:00PM
Where: Municipal Services Building (Room Y)1401 John F Kennedy Blvd #11, Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Art Sphere Inc. – 2014 Volunteer Opportunity Calendar
- United Way Project NEXT – Become a member of Project NEXT to participate in different volunteer events through city.
Where: Opportunities occur all over Philadelphia
- Young Professionals Across Philadelphia
When: Wednesday, January 15th, 6:30PM
Where: Philadelphia Museum of Art
- SERVE Philadelphia Networking Lunch Break – SERVE Philadelphia’s first self hosted networking event.
When: Thursday, January 30th, 12PM – 2PM
Where: Dim Sum Garden, 1020 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Cocktails For Equality: Social Justice Happy Hour – “Cocktails for Equality is an opportunity for young professionals to mix and mingle while learning more about the Anti-Defamation League’s work combating anti-Semitism, defending democratic ideals, and protecting civil rights for all.”
When: January 30, 2014, 6:00PM
Where: RAW: Sushi & Sake Lounge, 1225 Sansom St, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Resources & Tools:
- Generosity Philadelphia Calendar – a comprehensive listing of community events in Philadelphia
- The Wallace Foundation: Resources for Nonprofit Financial Management – a library of resources to help organizations become “fiscally fit”
- Chandoo.org – A fantastic excel education resource, offers tips and tutorials for excel learners at all levels
Submit Your Own Opportunity!
Do you or your organization have a professional development opportunity resource that you would like to share with others on our newsletter? If so, simply CLICK HERE and our talented team will evaluate how to best spread it with our readers. Our newsletters go out on the second Friday of each month, so plan accordingly!